Re: any contacts in TB world

To: mgwizard@caloundra.net, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: any contacts in TB world
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:19:01 EDT
Cc: bill@rangelinemews.com (Bill Hentzen)
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/17/03 00:50:57 Pacific Daylight Time,
mgwizard@caloundra.net writes:

<< My search goes on for evidence that 16" wheels were used on MG's prior to
 1940.

 I have learnt that MG part number A 1338 was issued for TB wheels of 16" for
 tyres of  5.00 or 5.50 size. >>

Pip, I have the TA/TB Service Parts List here.  It is dated September 1939
and revised in September 1946.  No such part number is listed.
Alternate wheels would probably not be in the standard Service Parts List
anyway but in the approved list of extra's that the factory provided for prewar
cars.  I also have a copy of the Salesman's Manual dated August, 1939.  The
only "extra" relating to wheels is the extra charge for a different colour.

Bill Hentzen is probably as knowledgeable as anyone in the world on TB's.
I've copied him on this message in hopes that he has more info than I do.  Dick
Knudsen might also be able to help you prove that some prewar racers used 16"
wheels.  You can get to him through the New England MGT Register web site.  I
believe Dick donated a lot of material to the Watkins Glen Racing Library.
They have a web site too and you might find something there.

Good Luck
Terry