RE: J2 and PA/PB STUB AXLES

To: "John James" <jj@octagon.fsbusiness.co.uk>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: J2 and PA/PB STUB AXLES
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:53:37 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi John and MMMers,
Good timing! I just returned from picking up a new batch of TC stub axle
inserts. I also had a small number of P type/earlyy TA stub axle inserts
made. The P/TA inserts have a larger diameter at the inner end to allow for
the huge recess hole that seems to be in the inside of the original P/TA
steering knuckles.  So this means I can repair P and TA steering knuckles as
well as all TC. I think my TC inserts have also been used in a J2
application. I use a 3/4 " -16 tpi stub axle nut ( same as TD/TF/MGA ) with
my inserts. This is a stronger thread than the original 5/8" BSF thread
found on all early MGs . The stub axle inserts are installed with a 0.003"
interference fit. I heat the steering knuckle after machining to allow
easier instalation of the insert. I can give dimensions of the inserts if
interested.
Email me if any questions or comments. Thanks, Bob Grunau:
Hello fellow MMMers!

The stub axle is a potential weakness on our cars, being 70 years old!

On T-types, quite a few owners have had their stub axles fitted with new
spindles (pins) by boring the old ones out and shrink fitting new
spindles (pins). Has anyone tried this with their Triple-M car and if
so, is there a supplier of spindles (pins)?

I know that new stub axles (machined from solid) are available but I
understand the cost is very high.

JOHN JAMES, Keynsham, Bristol, ENGLAND