Re: Rotax or Lucas?

To: lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rotax or Lucas?
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 15:11:00 EST
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Guys,
                   There is nothing definitive here but to further confuse
the issue I'll relate the following.
In the 1975 MMM Yearbook there is an article, along with a wiring diagram
which includes various Lucas identification numbers. The article is by
Michael Nassim. The diagram copyrighted by Man 1972.
Switchboxes.  Lucas   344176 [PA]    344508 [PB]
For half charge PLC2 L14  344130 will suit.

Looking in a 1937 Lucas-Rotax catalogue the above are ordering numbers, which
correspond with the descriptions, PA= PLC/DA14    PB= PLC5/L1
The prices were 10s 6d, if you locate any at that price will you order me one
of each.
The half charge diagram shows a wire jumper between the terminals D+ and F1
at the switch. Again, in the diagram, which is half charge, the cut out box
is listed as
CJR2 L17 = 336082.
I've always been under the impression the PA had Lucas half charge. Mine has
it. Though as Tom pointed out, they are black. At least mine is. Which brings
me to what I discovered in the cut out section.
       In all MMM listed '31-'36, the section where the resistor [for half
charge is listed] this section is blank at these models. Ironically, the book
doesn't list cutouts by model.
Having taken a CJR2 off the shelf, and inspecting it, there are no
identifying numbers on it. The book lists a total of 12 different CJR2's, eg.
shown above on the half charge model..I'd like to hear from anyone with ID#
on theirs.
Again, this info. is from 1937, which means they could change and did change
a lot in a year or two.

Brian Kelly.
British Cars Web: http://www.team.net/sol