Re: Dashboards

To: Richard.Morbey@taywood.co.uk, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dashboards
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:19:19 EST
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
In a message dated 01/27/2000 2:57:04 AM Central Standard Time,
Richard.Morbey@taywood.co.uk writes:

>  I'm at that stage of my P type restoration when there is a real=20
>  possibility that I'll need a dashboard ere long.
>  =A0
>  Although the car has been blessed with a new body (wish I had, too) put =
>
>  together by Steve Gilbert, whom I'd recommend most heartily, I would=20
>  not be happy to buy an "off the shelf" dashboard, in case the fit is=20
>  not 100%
>  =A0
>  Peter Green mentioned to me that he had had a db made for him by a chap =
>
>  in Witney, Oxfordshire a while ago who did a very good and reasonably=20
>  priced job.=A0 Only, snag, he cannot remember his name or phone number!
>  =A0
>  Can anyone help?
>  =A0
>  Incidentally, Blower indicates that the PA db is veneered with sequoia, =
>
>  and having de-polished the remnants of my original db it looks like a=20
>  rather nice burr wood effect.=A0 Is sequoia still available from veneer =
>
>  suppliers, or do most people use burr walnut?
>  =A0
>  Thanks
>  =A0
>  Dick Morbey
>  =A0

Dick

AS you say the '34-'35 PA had the sequoia dash and, the PB of '35 had the
walnut.
As a matter of interest, the reason being due to the ban on cutting sequoia
on federal lands in the USA, in '35.  I stand to be corrected, this cutting
ban still applies.  Though it's still logged on private land.

                Albert Constantine's. New York.
                    <  www.constantines.com  >

They have it listed as red wood burl,  item #  V 75.  They ship world wide,
and at a cost of  $3.90 per square foot it's very reasonable.

I used this when I built my dash.  It comes with simple instructions on how
to get it flat to work with, because it comes in wavy distorted form.  As you
will know, the dash is mirror image.  You would require 2 @ 20'' x 10''
minimum.  And if you're like me, enough to make three.  Don't make my mistake
of trying to stain it to make the grain stand out.  It doesn't need it, and
the colour of the veneer is superb, as is.

Constantine's sold it in sizes they were working on at the time.  In other
words you might have to buy bigger pieces than required. If you give them
your minimum sizes they will fix you up.

Question.
            How many wood fixing screws in a PA dash?  My verdict is four, as
opposed to the PB's 6 screws.  Thoughts on this anyone???

Brian Kelly