Turbo Question

To: land-speed@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Turbo Question
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:06:46 -0800 (PST)
I need some help from some of you turbo guys - - especially any of you who used
to be VW guys in the past.  I'm taking my first "baby steps" ever into the
world of turbocharging.  I'm building a pull-through system utilizing a KKK
turbocharger and DelOrto side draft carb with boost-controlled water/alky
injection, on a modified VW aircooled 4 cyl in a vintage Porsche.  (I hope to
make the USFRA 130 club with a VW motor!)

Everything I read indicates that a restriction orfice must be installed in the
oil feed line to the turbo, but nowhere can I find out what size this
restriction is supposed to be.  Remember, this is a vintage VW motor, and if I
feed full flow oil from the block to the turbo with 1/4" line, then the
crankshaft journals starve for oil and last about until high gear is engaged.
This is probably a problem unique to vintage VW bug motors.

Anybody know what size I need to neck that oil line down to?

Oh, for those of you who may wonder, this Porsche is in addition to the
hemi-Stude, which is still occupying first seat in my shop - - and coming along
nicely - - but oh so very slowly!

Dick J  In East Texas