Re: Tires

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tires
From: "landspeedracer" <landspeedracer@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 06:59:14 -0500
The load factor is also a very important part of tire selection. How much
does a T/F dragster weigh and how much down force does the wing exert? How
much does Kugal's Firebird weigh and how much down force is created at 300
MPH? My guess is that the LSR tires are loaded considerably higher than the
average drag tires, which is a big factor in tire life.

Several years ago I bought a new set of Goodyear Front Runners for my Comp
Coupe. I was going from a Daytona tire (which had given no trouble) to a
narrower one to fit my new body. After several 220 MPH runs the tire had
chucked nickel and quarter size pieces of rubber off the tread and the tread
plies were separating from the sidewall. Sent them back to good year and
they said the tires had exceeded their load specs. Maybe I had more down
force than I thought, but when I went to a higher rated M/T tire they worked
successfully. Goodyear does make an LSR tire (looks the same as a Drag Front
Runner) that has a much higher load rating (for three time the $).

John B.