LSR Clutches and Flywheels

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: LSR Clutches and Flywheels
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 15:50:47 -0500 (EST)
Hi Folks.  Wanted to ask those of you who use manual gearboxes on your
cars what your preferences are for trustworthy clutches and flywheels.

The rules only allow aluminum or steel, no cast iron flywheels, and both
are available.  In fact  LLoyd Capanna at WilCap is making me a steel
one for my Ardun right now, as heavy as we can get inside there. At
present I am using an old Shiefer aluminum with a bronze insert, which
passed Zyglo inspection at our local aircraft engine shop, and a 3200
pound Ram Borg & Beck 10.5" racing clutch, but I wanted to get a heavy
steel flywheel 'cause some people prefer them, and I like to have
options.  I found out right quick that if you run much initial spark
advance with the aluminum flywheel, you will get kickback that will bend
the shaft of your flathead starter and lock the crankshaft up.  Not that
it is difficult to straighten them.

So would appreciate the thoughts and experiences of the veterans on what
works best, steel or aluminum, and what kind of clutches.

One other thing, a magazine article I read said the 11" Long-style
clutch will not fit under the pressed steel bellhousing ('49-'51
Mercury) for the late flathead block.  They said only the 10" size will
go.  Can anybody confirm or dispute this??  Regards,  ArdunBill
Hoddinott in the Great Dismal Swamp,  Chesapeake, VA