Re: Building / Buying a car

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Building / Buying a car
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:29:01 EDT
Richard J,
        At the risk of championing the KISS principle, why not buy someone
elses discounted labor, aka a used race car, and concentrate on building the
engine? I've had 4 built since 1985, and, believe me, it's the hard way to go.
        Doc Jefferies (Bonneville Racing News) always knows of some finished
cars or project cars for sale, and, believe me, unless you're way handier and
wealthier than most, building is not as good as buying someone elses work.
Reach him at "salt@ivic.net" or (909) 926-2277. You might also try
"majordomo@autox.team.net", or "Roadsters.com".
        Rich Fox, "V4GR" has a 29 Gas Roadster that he's campaigned for years
that he might be talked out of, I have a 150" Lakester that we ran with the
Ardun from 89-94. It needs the cage beefed, but, is a long way from starting
from scratch. The newest Bonneville Racing News has several cars that need
little more than adding an engine and tranny to be racing.
        When most racers move to another hobby or another class, they would
love to get their hard costs back, donating their "labor-of-love". Look
around and you might be surprised at what's out there. Just practice the
"buyer-beware" and carefully evaluate the item for sale. In drag racing there
are lots of chassis out there that are on the market for a reason, that being
that they no longer can pass Tech. Have some disinterested party evaluate the
prospective "object of your affection", paying for his time if needed.

                                Ardun Doug King