fot

Re: [Fot] GT6-Spitfire Transmission Conversion

To: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>, "Barr, Scott via Fot" <fot@autox.team.net>, Rod Pierce <rpierce141@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6-Spitfire Transmission Conversion
From: JOE CURRY via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 10:33:02 -0400 (EDT)

------=_Part_870177_2081159401.1697121182416

Since the GT6 gearbox has a different gearset than the Spitfire has, I can't
see how that would work.  The first gear for the 3-rail Spitfire has a ratio of
3.75 compared to 2.65 for the GT6, therefore the input shaft gear won't mesh
with the gears in the GT6 box.  Here is a link to the summary of what I did way
back in 2000 when I adapted a Mk3 GT6 gearbox to work with a small journal 1296
that I used in my autocross prepared Mk1 Spit:
https://www.geocities.ws/MotorCity/Speedway/1080/gt6boxtospit.html.

Joe

> On 10/12/2023 9:31 AM EDT Barr, Scott via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:
>

> When I had this done some years ago, I took the job to a local
> racer-transmission guy.  After fiddling with it a bit, he just put the
> Spitfire input shaft into the GT6 trans and it worked fine.  GT6 gearbox for
> my Spit racer, no cutting, welding, etc. required.  It worked great for a few
> seasons until I pulled it to install an overdrive trans.
>

> Could just be luck?  I understand that there are a number of variations of
> gear constructions and maybe I just happened to bring him two that matched?
> Who knows.  But it worked for me.
>

> Scott (B.)

<!doctype html>
 <head>
 </head>
   Since the GT6 gearbox has a different gearset than the Spitfire has, I can't
see how that would work.&nbsp; The first gear for the 3-rail Spitfire has a
ratio of 3.75 compared to 2.65 for the GT6, therefore the input shaft gear
won't mesh with the gears in the GT6 box.&nbsp; Here is a link to the summary
of what I did way back in 2000 when I adapted a Mk3 GT6 gearbox to work with a
small journal 1296 that I used in my autocross prepared Mk1 Spit: &nbsp;<a
href="https://www.geocities.ws/MotorCity/Speedway/1080/gt6boxtospit.html";>https://www.geocities.ws/MotorCity/Speedway/1080/gt6boxtospit.html</a>.
   &nbsp;
   Joe
    On 10/12/2023 9:31 AM EDT Barr, Scott via Fot &lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt;