fot

Re: [Fot] Snap Rings in Pistons

To: Erik Jacobsen <kekjacobsen@yahoo.com>, Erik Jacobsen via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>, Jack Wheeler <jwheeler1947@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Snap Rings in Pistons
From: DAVE HOGYE via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 13:36:32 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "J.S. Zimmerman" <jzimme10@gmail.com>, Eva Golding <ken@davebean.com>

------=_Part_1712588_548753120.1674423392150

Hi Jack,
I purchased the same style clips from Wiseco for good used 87mm Hepolite
pistons when I first built my TR3 engine.  I don't recall having any problems
installing them.  But, on a recent tear down, there was no way I was going to
get the clips out without damaging the pistons.  Luckily everything was in
great condition, so I just kept them on the rods and they'll go back in the
engine.  It was even suggested that the rods bearing could be reused as they
looked excellent.  However, I did renew the bearings and a new set of rings
will be used.  The engine had 19 race weekends on it and over 5,500 miles of
street use.  The stock crank was crack checked and polished and same main
bearings are going back in.
Dave H.

>     On 01/22/2023 12:42 PM Erik Jacobsen via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:
>

>     Jack,
>     I have these style clips on the Wiseco pistons I've recently purchased
> for TR3, TR6 and Sprite engines. I didn't have any issue getting them in or
> out (to quote Tony "don't ask me why I know this"). I put one end in and then
> just press it in as I push it towards the center. I used a piece of wood
> dowel with a slot sawn into it to help. A small scribe in the notch worked
> fine to get them started out and didn't damage the piston or coating.
>
>     Hope this helps!
>     Jake
>
>     On Sunday, January 22, 2023 at 12:00:01 PM CST, Jack Wheeler via Fot
> <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:
>

>     I am trying to install the snap rings which hold the wrist (gudgeon?)
> pins in the pistons.  The snap rings I have used on the TR-3/4 engines and
> most of the other engines I have rebuilt, have small holes in the ends.
> These allow you to insert snap ring pliers into the holes so you can squeeze
> the snap rings into place in the grooves in the piston bores.
>
>     I am assembling a Ford 1600 CC engine for my Morgan and have bought new
> pistons.  The snap rings that came with these pistons do not have the holes
> in the ends.  See attached picture.
>
>     These snap rings are very stiff and I can't squeeze them in by hand.  I
> also can't figure out a way to grip them with the snap ring pliers I have.
> Does anyone know if there is a special tool I need to use to install these?
> Or any suggestions about how I should go about installing them?  Thanks.
>
>     Jack Wheeler

------=_Part_1712588_548753120.1674423392150

<!doctype html>
 <head>
 </head>
color: #333333;">
color: #333333;" class="default-style">
style clips from Wiseco for good used 87mm Hepolite pistons when I first built
my TR3 engine.&nbsp; I don't recall having any problems installing them.&nbsp;
But, on a recent tear down, there was no way I was going to get the clips out
without damaging the pistons.&nbsp; Luckily everything was in great condition,
so I just kept them on the rods and they'll go back in the engine.&nbsp; It was
even suggested that the rods bearing could be reused as they looked
excellent.&nbsp; However, I did renew the bearings and a new set of rings will
be used.&nbsp; The engine had 19 race weekends on it and over 5,500 miles of
street use.&nbsp; The stock crank was crack checked and polished and same main
bearings are going back in.&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>
color: #333333;" class="default-style">
    On 01/22/2023 12:42 PM Erik Jacobsen via Fot &lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt;
font-size: 16px;" class="ydpd18d26fbyahoo-style-wrap">
     Jack,
     I have these style clips on the Wiseco pistons I've recently purchased for
TR3, TR6 and Sprite engines. I didn't have any issue getting them in or out (to
quote Tony "don't ask me why I know this"). I put one end in and then just
press it in as I push it towards the center. I used a piece of wood dowel with
a slot sawn into it to help. A small scribe in the notch worked fine to get
them started out and didn't damage the piston or coating.
     Hope this helps!
     Jake
font-size: 13px; color: #26282a;">
      On Sunday, January 22, 2023 at 12:00:01 PM CST, Jack Wheeler via Fot