fot

Re: [Fot] Mk 1 swing spring

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Mk 1 swing spring
From: Bob Totten via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 03:03:13 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_4876453_103774509.1607223793132

Amici,
Herald to GT6 rear spring inquiries ???=C2=A0 Not sure if my experience wil=
l be of any help as in my search to find a suitable answer for my own Spitf=
ire.=C2=A0 A tribute car to the factory endurance cars of '64 and '65 built=
 around a GT6 body on a spitfire chassis.=C2=A0 I'm using a 4:11 diff with =
a quaife LSD and for the spring I am using a Composite Spring from Flex-A-F=
orm out of South Carolina.=C2=A0 This spring is rated at 250 lbs. and is mu=
ch lighter than the steel units available for our cars.=C2=A0=C2=A0
With all the many options and ideas for set-ups and modifications for the r=
ear springs one has to consider the final use for our car.=C2=A0 Mine is fo=
r autocrossing and the one thing that has helped the most was finally switc=
hing to this composite spring .=C2=A0 I have about 3 degrees of negative ca=
mber and the car corners flatter in the corners without the notorious insid=
e wheel lift and tuck. Handling has much improved in the car, at least for =
this autocrosser.=C2=A0 I did not op for the camber compensator as ground c=
learance is reduced as I drive my car on the street occasionally.Of note, w=
hen used the late swing spring on my car I was also using a 3/4" thick spac=
er block between the diff and spring to help achieve the 3 degrees negative=
 camber.=C2=A0=C2=A0
Late Spit Swing Spring, heavy duty Spit spring, modified and de-cambered Sp=
it and GT6 Springs these are the common offerings .=C2=A0 This composite sp=
ring is something different as well as some instance of coil over conversio=
ns done by some ingenious owners.
Cheers and good luck,Bob T'64 Spit GT autocrosser