Re: sticking throttle

To: Brian Reynolds <brianrreynolds@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: sticking throttle
From: John Stromgren <lutepisk@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 15:59:45 -0400
brianrreynolds@yahoo.com wrote:
> My '69 2000 with SU carbs has a sticky throttle. It drives normally, but
> when I come to a stop it's often stuck at around 2000 rpm. If I lift the
> gas pedal with my foot it returns to normal idle range. It seems to happen
> when the engine is warmed up.
>
> Does anyone have experience with this kind of problem? Is it typically the
> cable, the mechanism on the outside of the carbs, something inside the
> carbs, a weak spring?
>
> Thanks,
> -Brian Reynolds
> Toronto
I was shocked to discover last fall that the carpet was interfering with
my gas pedal!  I thought I had a problem with broken springs, or
something complicated, and it turned out to be the a fold in the carpet
occasionally catching underneath the pedal.  I quickly anchored it to
the transmission hump, and have been much happier since.

John
1970 2000
Portsmouth, NH