RE: who's who

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: who's who
From: "Jeff Douglas" <jdouglas@nxnw.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:36:22 -0800
Hello everyone,

I've enjoyed reading about who is who on this list, and have decided it's about
time that I introduce myself.

My name is Jeff Douglas, and I work for North By Northwest Productions in
Spokane, Washington.  I'm a part of NxNW's Entertainment Division and am
responsible for High Definition editing and visual effects on feature films
that come through our shop.  Basically I get to play with pretty pictures and
fast computers.

I own a 1968 1600 (SPL311-18789) that was my father's midlife crisis and has
now become mine.  I've been lurking on this list for a few months now but
haven't participated in the discussion because, frankly, what I know about cars
could fit in a Dixie cup.  That's good, however, because before signing on to
this list what I knew about them could fit in a thimble.  When my Dad bought
the roadster (named Arnold) in the late 70's it was in decent shape, and he
planned to restore it to original condition.  Unfortunately, dad knows about as
much as I do about cars and never really made the time to dig into the roadster
and learn.  I eventually talked him into letting me have the car in 2000 after
it had sat,non-running, in his garage for a number of years.   Thanks to Don
Miller, who I'm sure doesn't remember it but turned me on to a mechanic in
Boise (where I was living at the time), I had the car repaired to roadworthy
condition.  I drove it that summer and then became a bad roadster owner.  The
car sat for a year and a half including, due to a move and some unforseen
circumstances, almost an entire Idaho winter outside.  After getting settled
here in Spokane I had the car repaired once again and it's been my daily driver
(read that as daily fun) until yesterday when I garaged it for the winter.

My goal for the roadster is twofold.  I want to restore it (not necessarily to
show condition, but I want it to look and run nice) and I want to learn enough
from doing so that I can maintain it.  I had hoped to start on the car this
winter, but I'm afraid monetary considerations are going to put off any major
work until next year at the earliest. So, for now, I'll just keep reading and
soaking in the knowledge that you all offer up so kindly.  It has been such a
great learning experience already that I can't wait to actually dig into the
car.

Jeff Douglas
'68 SPL311-18789