311s Run Pics! Oil Pan Destruction! Cool Video clips!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: 311s Run Pics! Oil Pan Destruction! Cool Video clips!
From: "alvin gogineni" <alvingogi@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 06:58:58 +0000
www.picturetrail.com/alvin7
3 new videos at http://rabbit.circa.ufl.edu/gallery/alvin
A birthday surprise...

Allow me to take 5 minutes of your time so I can tell you about my weekend.
Friday, 18 was my birthday. Told my friends I couldn't drink too much since
I had to wake up for the 311s Geyser Run in Rohnert Park(100 miles away), so
they introduced me to Bacardi 151. I had one shot and I was out.
     Three hours later woke up at 8am to hit the road with Raul. The cold
air sobered me up. Got some great Golden Gate pics and videos, thanks to my
little brother Clark. We arrived in Rohnert Park at 10:30am, good turnout
with 6 roadsters. Then Steve, Alan, Rich, Eric and the other Steve head out
on a very interesting drive...
     The driving was fun, I spent a good portion of the trip chasing Alan in
his souped-up '70 U20 conversion. It was wild! The six of us barreling down
what I thought was a one-way road! I used every inch of it by the way.
     Won't forget hearing Raul's whitewalls screaming for dear life. Or
Rich's on-the-fly bee sting. Or the airborne action. Things were going
great, time of my life. Clark was having blast on this roller coaster ride.
My roadster was just sweet, listening for the cam, running through the
gears, hitting those apexes(ridden with bumps), minding the potholes...and
then it happened...
     I was chasing Alan and we reached a nice long stretch of creekside
road. I backed off and cruised. Up ahead I see a string of rocks in the
center of the road. Alan goes over it. I think why run my tires over it and
get a flat, I'll just do the same. So I straddle it, thinking the pan will
clear, and BOOM! A rock flys out the front of the car to the side. I'm
thinking oh god it will be alright and I back off the gas and coast. Then
the oil pressure decreased rapidly. A plume of blue smoke trailed behind
me..and it came up through the shift boot. I pulled over and looked at the
pan. Oil was flowing out as if I was changing it. I was pissed, mostly at
myself. All I had to do was slow down or move to the left or right, I think.
The pics are amazing, especially the oil trail.
     But what followed this catastrophic event completely changed my
outlook. Steve Allen offerred to drive back to Rohnert Park and get his
trailer! It would have cost me hundreds to get it towed from the middle of
nowhere! While Steve and the other Steve drove back, Eric, Alan, Rich, Raul,
Clark and I just talked about roadsters, life, the country folk that drove
by, and how Steve was going to make a u-turn with his trailer on that road!
     All went smoothly, we got the roadster back to Steve's in Rohnert Park
and Raul(thanks man)drove all the way back to San Jose to get his trailer to
take me back home!
     So, I'm not sure the pan is salvageable, look at the pics and tell me.
I took so much care not to scratch it, as you can see, but it was bound to
happen. Guys feel free to embellish on the story and give your point of
view.
     Don't forget the videos clips/pictures, it may take awhile to load up,
but they make it seem like you were there.  Peace

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
67.5 1600/(SR)U20