Re: 64 vs. 66

To: Dan Zubkoff <datsun65@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 64 vs. 66
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 18:54:22 -0700
I don't run a negative ground radio in a positive ground car, but in years past
I did convert a few CB and AM/FM radios for semi trucks.  Many of which were
positive ground at the time.

To do this I had to locate each and every ground point on the printed circuit
board and make sure that it was separated from any mounting screw or other
attachment to the chassis.  The opening left after cutting the circuit board
foil was bypassed by a small capacitor to chassis ground and jumpers added to
restore ground circuits that may have been broken.  Once all of these points
have been found and rejoined a positive and a negative wire are brought out of
the now isolated radio case.  Make sure you install a polarity diode in series
with one of these wires to guard against incorrect power connection, use an
ohmmeter to confirm that there is no connection from the chassis to either power
wire, and you are done.

I have not worked on a newer car radio for many years.  With the increasingly
tight component packaging, and possibly multi-layer circuit boards, I don't know
if you can go through all of that described above or not.  Back then some radios
were designed to go in either way from the start.

I think your best solution is to either live with the original radio as long as
it is transistorized, or convert the car to negative ground and make it easy to
deal with in today's world.

Tom
69 2000
Portland, Oregon