First Roadster

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: First Roadster
From: "James M Koken" <james.m.koken@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:32:18 -0800
I bought my first roadster in 1970 for $1500. It was a 67.5 1600 and came with
michelin studded snows which came in handy for the Denver Winter which was to
follow.(90 inches of snow that year. Drove it to Vail for Thanksgiving with
the top down and the heater on.
I lived two blocks from a Jaguar, Datsun, MG dealer in Lakewood. The mechanics
said to buy a Datsun, so that helped make the decision.
 Made it through the winter with a little pushing once in a while, and blew a
head gasket next spring. I repaired the warped head with a file and lapped the
valves myself. After it was running good, it was stolen from CU Boulder in
1971. Bought the next roadster (another 67.5 1600)  in 1976 from the service
manager at the local Datsun Dealer in Colo. Springs. A near perfect car that I
had to sell for economic reasons 2 years later. And the story goes on from
there........
Mike Koken
Colo. Springs