Re: OT- I ALMOST DIED TONIGHT!!!!!

To: Dan Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: OT- I ALMOST DIED TONIGHT!!!!!
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 08:25:26 -0600
Dan,

Glad you and Irene are OK!!!

One issue with engine conversions is how close the
exhaust manifold & pipes are to any brake lines.
It is not uncommon to build up a lot of heat near
brake components. Problem becomes apparent after
a very long drive. ;-(

So if everything "seems normal" today, I'd still
flush the brake fluid with Castrol GT/LMA (fine for
Jags) to remove any moisture. Then start looking
for any places that brake lines run within 4" of
the exhaust components. You can buy heat shield
material for brake lines at the speed shops.

I seem to recall some of the brake line issues
being addressed in a conversion book titled
"Jags that run" JTR is still around, and at:
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/     Been ages since
I flipped through one of their excellent manuals.

Seems odd that no one never noticed a problem
before. Still with a marginal brake system (old
brake fluid) and the long drive heating up the
brake fluid to the point of no response...

When was the conversion done?

When I have lost brakes* in the roadster,
I have left the car in gear and TURNED OFF
the engine to help stop it.

I have been practicing my "engine off,
leave clutch in" for the Land Cruiser. Takes
practice, but on a steep descent it is easy
to stall out. No engine: No power steering, nor
power brakes. My first reaction was to slam on the
brakes and push in the clutch. Hmm, no power
brakes... and I started SLIDING down the loose
dirt hill. Had to work to keep the front
pointing straight (very heavy steering without
the power). Too close for comfort! Since then
I have learned to keep my foot OFF the clutch,
and how to restart the engine while in gear
(hard on the starter, better than rolling).

Tom Walter