OT- I ALMOST DIED TONIGHT!!!!!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: OT- I ALMOST DIED TONIGHT!!!!!
From: Dan Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 23:28:43 -0800
Hello All,
  Well let me tell you something...don't buy a 72 JAG XJ6 with a chevy 350 V8
conversion in SoCal and then think that everything is going to be okay for the
six hour drive home....it won't be....don't let your girlfriend talk you into
doing
it no matter how nice the car looks and how good she looks in it.
        After a harrowing 6 hour drive thru some serious rain storms we
are coming into the city about 5 miles from home in some serious traffic
going down a steep hill and the brakes go out.. I  mean they GO OUT!! the car
has power brakes and the pedal goes right to the floor RIGHT TO THE FLOOR
and its not stopping the car a bit.   I'm pumping the brakes while slaming the
car into 1st and pulling up on the parking brake.  Its barely slowing the car
at
all and I'm coming to the bottom of the hill where the light is red and there is
a ton of cross traffic. I'm in the middle lane of a three lane street with cars
on both sides and no way to stop.   So I um.... nosed the car into the Volvo
staion wagon that was just in front of me and stopped the car.  Nobody was
hurt and the Volvo was just a little bit scratched on its big bumpers also. The
jags front bumper was bent in a little bit but that was it.
        So heres my question, what the hell went wrong with the brakes.
The master cylinder is new-saw the paperwork and it looks new, and there was
no loss of brake fluid-the level in the brake fluid res. did not change.  I
have
never had a car with power brakes and don't instantly understand them.  This
car has a line from the intake plenum to a big short cylinder that I believe
is a vacuum resevouir with is connected to the master cylinder.  We had the
car towed to a friends garage but it can't stay there for very long and we need
the damn thing to drive during the rainy season.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Irene is going to call the guy
who sold us the car tomorrow and bitch him out.  Hopefully he is going to give
us a HUGE chunk of the money we spent on the car.

        Daniel 69 2000
        SF CA
p.s. sorry if this is not clear we decided that we needed several stiff drinks
after all the excitement.