Cold Air Induction-air box

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Cold Air Induction-air box
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:35:02 -0700 (PDT)
Hello All,
        Well After talking to Greg ? (sorry Greg don't remmeber your last name-
Greg withthe nice black roadster and the barbie doll on the roll bar and the
only roadster I have seen with cold air induction.) who says that having the
cold air intake definately makes a noticable difference, I am going to attempt
my own.  I also talked about this a bit to Gordan and Todd and stealing from
them and a bit from the cool 510 Ronnie Day sent to the list here's a vague
idea of what I have come up with.
        I want to use the silly long NISMO velocity stacks like Calspeed has on
his car. On his car I can get about 2 fingers between the end of the stack and
his inner fender. This is not enough-there needs to be at least 1.5 times the
diameter of the end of the stack in  front of the stack for airflow to not be
disturbed. I want to use these vel stacks because 1. I already own them and 2.
they should help the midrange of the car.
        I plan on cutting out the inner fender in the carb area to clear the air
box.  Todd thinks that I should just run the intake tube along the inside of the
fender to the front of the car. While Greg thinks I should just stick the air
filter in the under the fender area ala Ron Hamilton.  This area is pretty
turbulent what with the tire spinning and churning up the air.  I'm  sure this
does not matter on a turbo engine like Rons' but it might have a bad effect on
my naturally aspirated engine.
        What I want to do is take the air from an area of cool dense air that is
'stagnant'.  Maybe I can work out something to the oil cooler slot up front
or something.
        I plan on carving up some foam and using it as a buck to lay some
fiberglass on and then desolving out the foam with acetone. This way I can have
all kinds of crazy shapes and don't ahve to worry about getting the buck out of
the fiberglass.
        I also need to figure our a way to protect the carbs from the hot engine
bay. The stock solex heat shield is a joke I think.  I also want to do this
with out adding tons of weight to the outside edge of the carbs. I need my
rubber isolator mounts to last.
        What if I made up my own bigger heat sheild that attached to the inner
fender area and not the carbs?? Something bigger with reflective insulation on
one side. Somethign that protected more of the carbs from heat while still
allowing the engine to rock back and forth.
        Most people use the conical K&N type filters on the end of the
tube...but
mc's all use smooth tube openings and a flat type air filter inside the airbox??
I wonder which is best?? On mc's this is because they are going for a honest
ram air effect-which requires some specific port-tube airbox geometry.
While a ram effect would be nice the main reason why I want to do this is
to bring in cold air to the engine.
        What do you people think???

                        Daniel 69 2000
                        SF CA