Re: Pertronix Debate

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, Daniel Neuman
Subject: Re: Pertronix Debate
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:28:31 -0700
Hi Daniel,

Nice idea but I'm not sure that would work. Aren't there magnets embedded
in the Pertronix that sense the rotational position of the center cam, for
firing purposes. Changing to an offset for the mounting plate will simply
alter the rotational position, which is the same effect as adjusting the
timing (rotating the distributor as a whole). The standard ignition points
are more mechanical in nature, where the offset of the mounting plate
changes the interval of time that the points are opened before they close.

Probably the best place to experiment is in the electronics areas,
particularly the coil. Some people tell me the Pertronix works great with a
hotter coil. Good luck, I'm looking forward to hearing of successes with
these units.

Fred - So.SF