Re: Carb stack socks

To: <Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us>, Roadster List
Subject: Re: Carb stack socks
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:17:45 -0500
>Fred_Katz:

> At the Shasta all-Datsun meet I saw a 510 with similar carb stacks and they
> were covered with nylon stockings held by rubber-bands. How safe is it to
> use these? I know they'll keep large pebbles out of the engine cylinders.
> What about finer grit? Should I risk using nylon socks, or should I use the
> more "professional" foam filters?

Hi Fred,

Sounded like everyone really enjoyed themselves on "The Hill". We're already
planning for next year. We should even be bringing a 510. Yeah, I know.
Ya'll will all believe it when we show up towing it. ;>)

Anyway, the filters. I use old nylons all the time to make pop/blast
filters for microphones. The reason is that they don't pas blast of air
easily, but let sound pass freely. I would doubt they do a decent job of
passing air, at least at higher flow rates like you'd see in a carb.

As for the sock type filters I used them on the 42 DCOE we had on our
original 510 and while they worked okay, there was a wire frame (looked like
a large hair roller) that went inside the airhorn to prevent sucking the
sock into the carb. Now I can't help but feel that the wire frame disturbed
the airflow into the carb, particularly at higher RPM. Was is enough to make
a huge difference? Don't know without tests, but for the real world probably
not.

An alternative would be to get some K&Ns (or others), possibly from APT down
in Riverside. They have a wide variety of depths, diameters and offset base
plates (if needed) to fit pretty much any installation.

HTH, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)