driving posture (OT)

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: driving posture (OT)
From: "Mitch Planck" <mitch@ias.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:52:56 -0400
I'm wondering if other people have problems with their driving posture. When
I drive I tend to slouch forward, hunching my shoulders and then craning my
neck up. When I notice I'm doing this I sit up straight again, but in a
matter of minutes I'm slouched forward again. This doesn't bother me on
short drives, but if I have to drive anywhere more than an hour I start to
get a sore neck and back. I'm trying to figure out if I change my seat
position so that if it's more reclined or more upright, if that will help. I
currently keep it at about 75-80 degrees (an estimate). I can also adjust
the seat bottom on my daily drivers.

Roadster Content:
I was recently at a used book store, glancing through the automotive section
and ran across a book published by MotorTrends in 1971. It is a basic auto
repair manual for american cars, but had tons of good info about basic car
theory, fuel, electrical, and other systems. The technology level is right
for our cars. Also, yesterday when I was out mowing the lawn, a neighbor
came by to say hi (I just moved to my current house) and introduced himself.
He had seen my roadster that is sitting outside and recognized it. He is a
former owner of a 1600, sold it years ago, about 1979 or so. Anyways, he
gave me a couple of books he had sitting around, one was a Datsun
Competition Parts List from around 1977 or so, and the other was the Clymer
Service Manual from 1971. I glanced through both last night and there's some
interesting stuff there. The Parts List one has parts for the 1200, 510
series, 240/280Zs, 1600/2000, pickups, and maybe some other models as well.
I saw a listing for an R-16 cam, but didn't look close enough to see if it
was a high performance version or not. Maybe someday I'll get around to
updating my web site (http://beladi.stormloader.com) and put scans of some
of these on there.

Mitch Planck
'69 1600