RE: driving posture (OT)

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: driving posture (OT)
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 08:32:09 -0600
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 "Mitch Planck" <mitch@ias.net> wrote:
>I'm wondering if other people have problems with their driving
>posture. When I drive I tend to slouch forward, hunching my shoulders
>and then craning my neck up. When I notice I'm doing this I sit up
>straight again, but in a matter of minutes I'm slouched forward
>again. This doesn't bother me on short drives, but if I have to drive
>anywhere more than an hour I start to get a sore neck and back. I'm
>trying to figure out if I change my seat position so that if it's
>more reclined or more upright, if that will help. I currently keep it
>at about 75-80 degrees (an estimate). I can also adjust the seat
>bottom on my daily drivers.

  How tall are you? If you're vertically-challenged :) , then we don't
have the same problem. I'm 6'2", and fight that slouch you mention all
the time, in order to have decent field-of-view under the windshield
frame. I probably run a wee bit more seat recline angle.
  Best solution I found: get (make?) a trashed drivers seat, notably
shredded seat bottom with sagging straps - lowers you nicely! I also
found an improvement with a sheepskin cover -- since the headrest hits me
about mid-shoulder, the padding helps give me the feel of a fullsize seat.
 I'm presently trying a 240Z seat (cheaper than Miata seats).
FANTASTIC leg/thigh support, marginal to poor lumbar, but overall far
more comfortable than a roadster seat. However it raises me too high,
even with the spacers out. Hoping upholstery shop might be able to
help me out when/if I get it recovered.

Dan Neff    '69 2000
Colorado Springs, CO
www.wycroc.org