Re: 280 Z Alloy Wheels??

To: "Alex Avery" <aavery@rica.net>,
Subject: Re: 280 Z Alloy Wheels??
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:41:44 -0600
>Coming from the gurus, perhaps I need some more roadster schooling.  But as
>a multiple Z car owner, I've been able to swap several parts from Z cars,
>including wheels, exterior door pulls (brand new ones from a 240 Z--lookin
>NICE!), window cranks, and lots of other insignificant bits.  I guess from
>your post that I was mislead by my initial success?

Are the door pulls straps or hard molded plastic? I can't remember if the
Z had straps or pulls. I need to come with something to use on the '71
track car. Since I'm taking all of the weight I can out of the car, I've
pulled the window regulators, will be using Lexan "windows", and use
adjustable nylon straps to hold the front windows open, closed, or in
between. We'll use either thin aluminum sheet or Masonite as an interior
door panel. I was thinking that a light plastic handle similar to a
drawer pull bolted into the flat area just below the window would work
fine to pull the door closed.

In addition to doing this in the doors, I plan to replace the rear pop
out side window assemblies with Lexan cut to fit the opening and just
screwed in place. I'd guess that I'll be saving at least 75 lbs. with
these measures. If I use Lexan for the front and rear windows, too, I'll
save considerably more, but I'm a bit concerned about optical distortion
using it, particularly in the front. Since most of the weight coming off
is toward the top of the car, I'd think the benefit of getting rid of it
is multiplied somewhat by removing that weight well above the car's
nominal center of  gravity. Compulsive? Maybe so, but even being a
retreaded trumpet player I know enough to realize that you improve the
power to weight ratio by changing either number.

Not that anything but the first question has much to Alex's post, but I
would appreciate the benefit of other's thoughts and experiences. Who's
worked with Lexan? How is it easiest to cut? Fine tooth blades in a
variable speed saber saw?

TIA, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)