RE: Roll bars, Timing and Carbs (was: bolt holes)

To: "Mitch Planck" <mitch@ias.net>
Subject: RE: Roll bars, Timing and Carbs (was: bolt holes)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:41:34 -0700
In getting back on the road, Mitch writes:
> ...also checked the carbs with the little push-up pins. When pushed up
> on either carb the engine smooths out at a higher rpm.

Your carbs are out of adjustment. You should get a momentary
increase, then a definite drop in speed. It'll run rough, but you shouldn't
stall out. Sustained increase means you're running too rich.

> After I got off the highway engine performance was vastly different and
> much worse than before. It made a puttering type noise while trying to
> accelerate instead of the normal engine roar...

I think you sucked some sediment and have clogged your fuel filter.
I think we've ALL been there, done that :-). Take off the filter and see
what pours out the intake end (reverse flow). Don't forget the filter
screens inside the banjo bolts, too, if cleaning the main filter doesn't
fix it.

Check the plugs, too, to see if you fouled them. Oh, and the point
GAP too (dwell).

-- John