Roll bars, Timing and Carbs (was: bolt holes)

To: "Mitch Planck" <mitch@ias.net>
Subject: Roll bars, Timing and Carbs (was: bolt holes)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:57:04 -0700
Mitch writes:
> I was doing some cleaning on my car this weekend and noticed some odd holes
> on the rear package deck and behind both seats. I'm thinking that these are
> bolt holes for a street bar.

Yes, factory mounting points for the factory roll bar.

A couple other comments after reading your web site commentary:

Some people recommend against Armor All, preferring products like
STP that tend to not destroy the underlying foam padding over time.
YMMV and if any Armor All lawyers are reading this, I am just repeating
what I've read elsewhere!

MOST IMPORTANTLY, you mention 'valve clatter' under heavy load. That
noise is the sound of your ENGINE BEING DESTROYED by pre-ignition
i.e. pinging. Your timing is too far advanced. Back it off 'til the noise goes
away, alternatively start saving up to replace the piston you'll ultimately
burn a hole in :-)

As an aside, since you're twiddling the carbs rather than tuning them (a
minor distinction), keep in mind that if they aren't somewhat in balance,
you can easily be running a pair of cylinders too lean without knowing it.
See above paragraph in regards to saving for new pistons :-) My unisyn
and I don't get along too well, so I use the 'heater hose' technique. Also,
there's a lift pin on each carb that'll raise the piston (underneath side
near the air cleaner. With small hands and some contortion, you can get
to them with the airbox attached). Press one up to raise that carb's
piston and disable it. If the car stalls, the OTHER carb is set too lean.

Oh, add a :-) or two if I sound too serious...

-- John