Re: Re. crankshaft O.T

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re. crankshaft O.T
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:46:11 -0500
Chris,

The Harmonic Balancer's do go bad with time.

There are two metal parts, with a thin section of bonded rubber
between them.  Usually the machine shop would never see
the balancer as there is no reason to send it in with the crankshaft,
etc.

Sigh, one way to damage them is by PRYING on the outer
ring. Yep, usually the only time that is done is when someone
is trying to get it off and doesn't have a puller that will fit it.
The puller needed is not common at all, but uses small 6mm bolts
and the spacing is pretty close together.  Yep, another one of
those toolsI have made when working on my own engine.

Unlike the newer cars, usually you do not need a puller on a U20
crank, btw. Slips off with just a slight tug of my hands.

So back to the question "Did the shop damage it?" Well, near
impossible to say. It could have been damaged previously, but
then seperated with a "little tug", or someone not know better
might have tried "beating it loose" from the engine.

If you can not find one, I should have a couple around here for
a U20.

Cheers,

Tom Walter