Re: Road Trip Preparation

To: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Subject: Re: Road Trip Preparation
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 19:12:37 -0500
> Hot tip for a small compact toolbox. Get a plastic lunchbox. You can put a
>whole bunch of tools in
> the bottom plus a tube of hand cleaner and a couple of towels in the top. The
>whole thing will jam
> down in the trunk in the space between the outer fender and the frame. A
>gallon of antifeeze or
> water, a quart of oil and a can of brake fluid will fit in the other trunk
>well. Very compact and
> out of the way, plus they don't rattle around in the corners.  ;-)
> --
> Gordon Glasgow
> http://www.gordon-glasgow.org

I make use of the room under the spare tire for parts/cleaners/etc.  I cut
the bottom out of a 5 gallon plastic paint bucket so that the height is the
same as the distance between the floor of the trunk and the spare tire, about
4.5?

Next, cut a hole in the middle of the bucket bottom so that it fits over the
spare tire mount.  I found that the core of a large roll of duct tape fits
over this mount perfectly, so I taped an almost empty roll of duct tape inside
the bucket to form the inner core of the storage tray.

Now just stuff the parts/supplies that you want to take into the tray and put
the spare tire on top of it.  Presto!  storage that doesn't take up a lot or
room!

When I flew out to California a year ago to pick up my car I packed a tray
with bailing wire (wrapped around the duct tape roll), spare relays, points,
condenser, a few feet of #12 insulated wire, voltage regulator, paper clips,
volt meter, tail light bulbs, carb linkage and a $20 bill, just in case I
lost the rest of my $$.  Use zip lock bags to keep things from getting wet
and corroded.

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885