Speeding - Confessions of a Lurker - ( Very Long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Speeding - Confessions of a Lurker - ( Very Long)
From: "Mark Gill" <willie2570@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 23:49:21 GMT
Hello List,
Recently joined the list and acquired a 1970 SRL311 14359.  The white
roadster was really in good shape when I bought it, but the engine did not
run.  After purchasing, I had the car trucked from Northern California to
Denton, Texas.  It was then (after reading all of the original owners
documentation) that I discovered that it looks like the second owner hadn't
driven the car for maybe 16-17 years.  With a local Nissan (Bankston Nissan)
mechanic's expertise, the car was running in just a couple of hours, and I
drove it home.

Then the fun began.  Started to replace some of the hoses, gaskets, etc.
that had deteriated due to age.  It seemed that for the next 3 months every
time I drove it, something else would start leaking or not work due
primarily to father time.  I have really become familiar with the parts
books on line plus religously use the Roadster List Archives.  Thought about
putting the PC in the garage, but didn't have a phone jack available.  I
admit that I've printed well over a hundred postings from Thomas Walters,
Gordon Glasgow, and many others from the Roadster's Achives (Thanks for
sharing your knowledge and experience).

One hot night (this is Texas), I had just replaced a set of sinking, gas
leaking floats in the SU carbs.  Pretty easy job, and was feeling proud of
my mechanical prowess ;-).  So I crank the roadster and she purrs and
doesn't leak.  Decide to just drive her a few blocks and still no leaks.
Drive her around Denton's town square and the exhaust noise echos bring back
that Datsun Roadster grin to the proud driver (you know the feeling).  So I
decide to really enjoy the ride and jump on I-35 going North away from
Dallas.

The U20 is performing great.  The roadster has lots of get up and go and
cruises effortlessly at 70 MPH.  The top is down and the miles fade quickly
in the rear view mirror, as I keep a careful watch for any friendly State
Troopers along the interstate.  After driving almost to Gainesville, TX (@40
miles), I pull off the interstate, use my last few bucks to top off the
tank, and look carefully for any leaks.  Not a single drop!  The buttons
almost pop off my slightly greasy shirt.

I turn south and head back to Denton.  As I bring the Roadster up to the
legal speed limit (70MPH), my mind reflects on some recent postings about
the Roadster's Top Speed.  It's after 11 PM. Traffic is pretty light.  This
would be a good time to experiment.  Slight pressure with the right foot,
and Oh yes, the Roadster agrees!!!  Quick glance to the speedo and 75, 80,
and 85 are easy.  The tach says that the engine has not even started to
breath hard.

I look up again, and notice that the Roadster has just passed a new Bright
Yellow Vette with chrome wheels.  The Corvette responds as I point the
Roadster back to the Interstate's right hand lane.  The Corvette pulls
alongside of the shiny off-white Roadster and carefully looks over the proud
30 year old Datsun.  After a thorough stare and another whiff of Datsun
dust, the Corvette accelerates (Have you noticed how  Vettes hate to be
passed by a 4 cylinder car).  My right foot requests the Roadster to
respond.  The U20 four banger doesn't even grunt as we keep pace and
accelerate past 90, 95, 100, 105, and Yes, Yes, Yes Oh Glory!  The little
Roadster speedo just grins and says Hello!! to 110 MPH.  The tach is no
where close to red line, but this feels like the end of the get up and go.

Have to watch the road now, because those mile markers are moving kind of
fast.  I take a long glance over to the Corvette and try not to grin too big
:-).  We just top a small rolling hill, and I look down the road to insure
that the road is all clear.  And there is the biggest Texas State Trooper
Car just pulling across the interstate medium.  His blinking lights explode,
and dust from his rear tires boils out, as he watches two fools in sports
cars blow by in excess of 100MPH going south.

I try to slow down without hitting my brakes, and I turned very pale, kind
of an off white to match my Roadster.  The Yellow Vette takes off with
everything he has left.  The State Trooper flashes his spot light across the
little white Datsun, and I tried to remember how to look innocent.  Then
thankfully, the Trooper floored it to go after that Really Big Yellow Fish
still blowing and going.  I watched with a slightly smaller grin, as the
flashing lights disappeared over the next hill.  Now, I may understand what
goes through the mind of a small fish, that is caught but thrown back to
grow some more.

I drive the rest of the way home making sure that I am at least 5 miles
under the legal limit.  I am filled with mixed emotions:
1.  Guilty that I was having so much fun, while acting like a kid.
2.  Thankful that I do not have to explain to my three teenage drivers how
their balding father got such a ridiculous speeding ticket.
3.  Proud of how this 30 year old Datsun still had real performance guts.
4.  Thoughtfulness as I try to figure what Top Speed could be with a
complete Solex kit??

Lurking and enjoying the ride,

Mark Gill
SRL311 14359
Denton, Texas

Thanks again to everyone for the technical info and encouragement that
passes through the list!!!!