Re: New Top Allowance

To: Jaykp@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Top Allowance
From: Beamonk@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 18:39:52 EDT
Jay, here are a few things I did to put my top on. Bow- I got a can of foam
insulation spray, put roofing tacks where the latches screw in, and filled it
with foam. Very light and strong, trim the excess foam. I got a nail punch
and hammered the metal plates that hold the clamps on. This loosens them from
the foam for adjustment of the clamps. Where the middle of the bow creased, I
riveted sheet metal over it, then I fiberglassed over the plate to give a
smooth look. Bow is very strong now.
Get a quality leather punch for installing the snaps. Get a good rivet gun
for the weatherstrip metal piece in the front. It will be rusty most likely,
wire brush it and treat for rust and paint. Drill out old rivets don't punch
them out. Finally, install in the heat so the top will stretch easily. Most
of all, take yout time, there aren't many second chances.
John Brasfield
SEROC