Re: why turn signal on left?

To: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Subject: Re: why turn signal on left?
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:32:14 -0500
> Folks,
>
> When you climb into a RIGHT HAND DRIVE roadster,
> everything will make sense. You'll open the
> drivers door with the left hand... keys go
> immediately to the ignition switch while still
> in your left hand.
>
> Right hand is "free" for the turn signal, so
> you can indicate the turn while down shifting
> with your left hand.
>
> I thin for '68 Nissan realized they could reduce
> cost by having the same column, ignition switch,
> cover plate, etc as the right hand car fit into
> the left hand car.  (Opps, THINK not thin. Line edit
> mode).
>
> So for us in North America, when we climb in, we have to
> "trade hands" for the keys, and get used to that turn
> signal on the "wrong side".  As to the switch itself,
> it also used on a EARLY 510, too.  69-70 switches are
> different from the '68 item.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom "too much trivia" Walter
>   67 2000     68 2000

Tom,

  When I lived in Japan ('69~'70), I had a Cedric.  It had a 4 speed column
shift that was on the Right side and the turn signal switch was on the Left.
I seem to remember another stalk on the Left for the headlight dimmer.

When I was in Ireland (RHD) all the cars that I drove had the turn signals on
the Left also.

I didn't know that there were any that were reversed!

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Hardware Guru
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885, UUCP:cs.utexas.edu!horne