Re: My Choice for New Wheels

To: dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My Choice for New Wheels
From: DemonTSi@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:20:33 EST
In a message dated 1/11/99 11:43:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu writes:

<<         The models I like are the Enkei RF-1 or Enkei RSE.  The RF-1 is a
 little cheaper $779 for 15by7's with 195/50TR-15 tires compared to the RSE
 $1019 (16x7 with 205/40HR-16's).  Tell me what you people think of them
 would ya (like I have to ask).
         Why are Panasports so expensive??  I have never heard of them before
 this list.  Are they lighter-stronger-better made wheels than Enkei??  I
 could get the RF-1 package for less than the cheapest price quoted to me
 for just the panasport wheels (no tires).  Is it just that they 'look' like
 old fashioned racing wheels. Don't get me wrong I think that they look okay
 I am just trying to justify the price difference.
         I think that 16 inch wheels with 40 series tires would look pretty
 neat-o on my roadster, am I crazy??  I heard that Les and Dennis were
 working on a 16 inch wheel that would fit. Have you guys found anything
 yet? >>

Dan, and others who are interested in the Enkei wheels, check out
www.enkei.com. You will see a wheel similar to the RSE. But the one on the web
site is called the RS Evolution. It's a real 3 piece wheel with polished lips
and, I believe, a forged center section. You will also notice that it doesn't
have a universal 8 or 10 bolt pattern like the RSEs. The RSEs and RF1s are a
less expensive cast wheel. Not saying that they're bad, but I've seen people
try to pass off the RSEs as RS Evolutions since they share a similar design.
So buyer beware!
Modern cast wheels like those enkeis would probably have a backspacing of
5.5-6" in a 16" size. So that means that you will have to use almost 1" worth
of spacers! Not a good thing! You could get some billet adapters to get to to
fit. (They bolt on to your existing studs, and then have studs of their
own...they're in essence like THICK spacers.) But then you're looking at like
200-300 per pair for the adapters. You "might" be able to get the enkeis in as
low as a 5.5" backspace in the 16" size....but don't keep your hopes up.
Panasports are a pretty established brand name in racing circles. They build
light-wieght wheels based on a classic design. You gotta admit they have a
nice, classy look to them. But I agree that going with a more modern looking
wheel would make for an interesting roadster.

Van
BTW, I tell ya, if you want to get modern wheels that will be guaranteed to
fit, you gotta get a 3 piece wheel that's around 300+ each!  :)