Re: Shock settings

To: "Gary Boone" <gboone@sisna.com>,
Subject: Re: Shock settings
From: Ronnie Day <rday@cyberramp.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 14:06:47 -0600
>I'm interested in the opinion of those who are involved in Solo 2/
>autocross, etc., who have experimented with changing settings in their
>adjustable shocks for determining the optimum setting for best handling
>performance.  I installed the NISMO springs on all 4 corners several
>years ago and someone recommended I set my Koni's at the stiffest
>setting.  I've never changed the settings but I'm always opened minded
>to change if others can offer advice from their experiences.  I'm
>interested in differences in front and rear, too.
>Gary Boone

Gary,

I'm getting ready to set up the suspension on our E/P 510 and the general
consensus is that for autocross you usually want lower spring rates and
softer shocks (than you'd use for road racing) based on the assumption
that most autocross courses are set up on rougher, more undulating
surfaces than those found at most permanent tracks.

The suggested autocross spring rates for the 510 run about 70% of the
road race rates with correspondingly softer shock settings, so I'd expect
the same relationship to be true for the Roadster. Of course you casn do
some tuning with sway bar settings, if they're adjustable, too. Ideally
it would be great if you (if we all) could get into a test day situation
this spring where you could do some timed runs through a slalom, change
your shock settings, make some more runs, and compare times.

Are you going to use the same tires this next year? What are you running
now, R1's? What size on what rim?

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@cyberramp.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)