Re: oil leak

To: CBAKER6231@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: oil leak
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 13:56:58 EST
hello all,

    A good way to find an oil leak that I have used with great success is
spray on foot powder. Use some engine cleaner to clean off the area, dry well,
then spray on a coat of foot powder. Run the engine for a little while and the
leak is easy to find. The powder soaks up the oil and keeps it from running
all over the place. An added benefit is that it cures athletes foot if your
engine has that.

    Also let me relate my silicone gasket sealer experiance. Normally I use a
VERY THIN coat of Permatex Ultra Blue on my paper gaskets and have very good
luck. Back when I was vintage motorcycle racing I often had trouble finding
gaskets. I found that if I coated them with a thin layer of Permatex that they
did not soak up oil and could be reused many times.

    Some of you may remember by big ugly truck. For quite a while after I got
it I had problems with it running hot. After trying about everything I took
the radiater down to a radiator shop. At my request the popped the top off so
we could look inside and check it out. The top tank had a bunch of BLUE WORMS
in it.  You guessed it, the P.O. used lots of silicone and most of it ended up
in the radiator. After cleaning out the worms the truck has never overheated
again.  Remember if you use silicone, if a bunch squeezes out around the
gasket, a bunch is squeezing out inside the engine. Use a very thin coat and
let it dry for fifteen minutes or so before assembly.

                               keith "yes I'm serious about the foot
powder"williams