Re: TR8 FI questions

To: jay snavely <jays@paonline.com>, TR8 List <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>,
Subject: Re: TR8 FI questions
From: Simon & Donna <sdaustin@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:47:14 -0800
Can't comment on the FI set up as I don't use this on my car but I can
comment on the valve covers and the gaskets.

If your TR8 covers look like the 1980 SD1 units then I can tell you I
chemical-stripped mine, painted them black and sanded the ribs to let them
show through.  Looks pretty good in my opinion.  I don't know how hard it
would be to remove the power-coating to accomplish the same look.

When I picked out valve cover gaskets, I purchased rubber gaskets with small
brass inserts where the bolts go through. No sealant required and have had
them on and off a few times with no leakage problems.

HTH
Simon

Subject: TR8 FI questions

>I am in the midst of removing quite a few components from the engine and
> have a few questions.  I was planning to remove the intake mainfold and
> refurbish the two pipes running coolant to the heater hoses.  I have not
> been able to find any instructions for removing the manifold in the ROM,
> but
> it looks like the entire fuel rail and the injectors need to be removed.
> This is a bit more than I intend to do.  I don't suppose it is possible to
> remove these pipes w/o removing the manifold.
>
> Valve cover finish - I want to refinish the valve covers, and am
> considering
> options other than the original grey paint.  The 2 things I am considering
> are either polishing them, or getting them powdercoated (probably black)
> and
> getting the tops of the ribs sanded to expose the aluminum.  Has anyone
> done
> this, and are there any photos on the web?
>
> Plenum finish - I repainted the plenum a few years ago, but am thinking
> about polishing it to match the valve covers (assuming I polish them).
> Again, are there any photos on the web to show this?
>
> Gaskets - Are the valve cover gaskets reusable?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jay Snavely
> 1980 TR8

///