Sump gasket

To: <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sump gasket
From: "JJJ" <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 12:08:09 -0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
All,
    I re-read my post, and it may not have been as clear as I thought.  To
add to what I said, the cast aluminum (or steel) block surfaces and the
stamped steel surfaces of the sump are anything but smooth.  They may look
smooth to the naked eye, but a microscope (or even a good magnifying glass)
would show just how porous and rough they really are.  The imperfections may
appear quite small, but they are gigantic if you happen to be an oil
molecule.  Oil can pass by relatively unimpeded.  Paper and cork gaskets
help stop this by filling the bigger flaws on the surface, but a
liquid-curing gasket really fills in the cracks, and prevents metal-to-metal
contact.
Hope this helps.
James J.

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
IMSTP.gif]

///
///