Re: Sump gasket

To: <Dick.Ward@Radiodetection.com>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sump gasket
From: "JJJ" <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:54:14 -0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
 Dick,
    Even in the vacinity of the bolts, you will probably not get
metal-to-metal contact between the sump lip and the block, if there is
gasket material present.  In fact, you don't want it.  The likelihood of you
having two mating surfaces smooth and true enough to stop the outflow of oil
is near zero.  That's why we use gaskets in the first place.  Ultimately,
the gasket material  will just continue to compress until the resistant
force is strong enough to deform the pan material in the vacinity of the
bolts.  Elastic materials become very strong in compression.  Strong enough
to bend 18ga. mild steel, for sure.
James J.