Sump gasket

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Sump gasket
From: Dick.Ward@Radiodetection.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:21:52 +0100
I get puzzled by lots of things, but the thing that puzzles me most at the
moment is this: how is a V8 sump gasket supposed to work?
If the bolts are tightened fully, there will be metal-to-metal contact
between the sump and the engine block, at least in the vicinity of the
bolts. So where is the gasket supposed to go here? Squeezed into nothing, I
suppose. Anybody got any ideas? Also, what's the best sealant to use here, I
usually go for Blue Hylomar, is there anything better, and any tips for
correct application to banish leaks?

Thanks for any help,

Dick

///