Loose plugs ...

To: "'Jim Stuart'" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: Loose plugs ...
From: "Opstal, Lex van" <agopstal@huygmetaal.nl>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 20:58:09 +0200
I never experienced loose plugs both in the Rover alu V8
nor in my alu headed Alfa's. In my Alfa days some 20 yeras
ago I always used graphite based grease on the plugs and
the last 10 years I used copper grease in the Rover V8
as anyone else seems to do.

The warnings concerning copper grease in aluheads for plugs
are new to me, but then I also never heard a unanimous advice
on using sealants or grease or mixed lubes of 40/60%
motoroil/paraffin or copper grease or whatever for building
up the V8 engine ie. head bolts, main bearing bolts, timing
cover bolts etc.,only the official Rover factory statement
for a special very, very bad smelling sealant.
The grease coming with the ARP main bearing stud set is
another different grease.

Perhaps some metallurgist Rover netter has an answer?

Lex van Opstal.