Re: Strokers, etc.

To: "Jones, Daniel C" <Daniel.Jones@MW.Boeing.com>
Subject: Re: Strokers, etc.
From: Bill Elliott <wcelliot@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 23:36:01 -0400
> It was near the Illinois/Missouri border, north of St. Louis.

I don't think I know the car. Is the owner a member of CORSA?

> Where
> did you get the reverse rotation cam and gear?  Chuck found one
> but I think he would like another.  Is your gear bronze?

I bought it (but haven't yet received it) from another Corvair guy out west.
The cams are reportedly OOP and he managed to snag a couple in a parts deal. If
he is able to get any more, I'll make sure to post them here.  I'm unsure of
the makeup of the gear... I think I understood he was having them made by a
local machine shop. He's daily driven a rear-mounted 215 Corvair for years.

> BTW, I'm
> going to go back sometime with a camera to take some pictures.
> I'll snag some of his literature too.

That would be pretty cool.

> Chuck also showed me pictures of Buick 401 nailhead powered
> Corvair he once did (mid-engined).  Very nice work.

A mid-engined Corvair can be quite a car. I'm familiar with various swaps (215,
GM302, 305, 350, 4.3V6, etc) but they all typically are mounted amidships. Such
a popular idea that there's now a registry:
http://magi.com/~gaube/corvair/V-8reg01.html

There is also the "Toro" swap (using the Olds big block and Toronado
transaxle), but that sets the engine back far enough that handling is
compromised. Of course, straight line performance is nothing short of
astounding.  Such a car exists here in Chicago.
http://magi.com/~gaube/corvair/lc01.html

But the cleanest Corvair swap I've seen is the rear-engine 215.  Of course,
another buddy out west is working on a marine-reversed 4.3 V6 with an aluminum
block and heads...

Bill Elliott
Lake Barrington, IL