RE: Bellhousing

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Bellhousing
From: Timothy Duhamel <tduhamel@prototechco.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:07:22 -0400
I too am using the TransDapt bellhousing.  Two things to point out.

1.  The bellhousing goes full circle around the flywheel.  Therefore the
bottom cover needs only to be plate covering the flywheel backside at the
bottom.   This also means there is no way to view the clutch, throw-out
bearing, etc.

2.  I found out the hard way that TransDapt bellhousings are renowned for
their need to check the transmission to engine alignment.  This alignment
must be within a few thousandths of an inch of each other and is controlled
by the bellhousing.  When it is off by more than that, expect to see clutch
disk breakage and some damage to the input shaft bearing and the pilot
bushing.  This is one of those machinist's tips that rarely get talked
about.

The fix involves removing the locating pins from the block.  Loosely bolt up
the adapter to the engine.  Put a dial indicator on the back crank and index
the bellhousing opening to the crank.  Once the bellhousing is centered you
tighten its bolts and overbore the locating pin holes.  Install new pins
matching the overbore size and you're done.  Obviously, this is best done
when you are having all of your machine work done on the block.

My machinist charged me about two hours labor.  Supposedly, such popular
blocks as Chevy small and big blocks have easy templates to check this with
and thus costs much less to correct.

Tim Duhamel
'79 MGB - '62 Buick 215 - lots of fun