overheating

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net,
Subject: overheating
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:07:51 -0700
Someone mentioned a "tropical" thermostat for the Rover V-8, used in the
Discovery and the Range Rover.  Does anyone know if this is simply a cooler
thermostat, or does it have a larger opening than the standard 'stat?

I wonder about flow through the standard thermostat.  I know that you can
reach a point of diminishing returns when you increase coolant flow in an
engine, when the coolant is moving too fast to transfer heat effectively.
This can be the case for the BMC A and B series engines, which is why the
factory issued a flow restrictor for competition use without the thermostat.
But what about the Rover V-8?  Does anyone have an idea as to whether the
standard thermostat flow is optimal for hot climates?

Cheers,
Paul Kile
in the middle of a painstaking restoration of a Factory MGB-GT V-8