Re: Mystery Transmission

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mystery Transmission
From: Bob Wilson <emrmicro@cadvision.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:57:57 -0600
To my knowledge there were two versions of the T-50 box, Wide ratio and
Close ratio.  I've lost the numbers for the "Close" but the wide ratios are:
3.41,2.08,1.40,1.00,.80.  As I recall the Close ratio had a .84 on 5th/OD.

If you can get a camshaft degree wheel or even a proper drafting protractor
(360degrees) you can check gear ratios (assuming you can shift the gears
properly), by counting the turns, inc.fractions, of the input shaft to give
exactly one turn of the output.

Not sure of applications, but some Monza's and probably Cutlasses would
have come with V8s bolted to these boxes, so I would guess 250lb-ft of
engine torque would be within their rating.  I think the V8's used were an
oddball 267 cubic inch emissions version of the SB Chev, with a small carb,
and low BHP.

The T-50 has an odd shift pattern, as first gear is toward the left and
back (toward rear of car), then gears 2 thru 5 form the familiar H-pattern
of a typical 4-speed.  Thus the 1 - 2 shift takes some getting used to, as
it requires going through the gate, like the 2-3 shift on most 5-spd boxes.
Folks who have them report a nice, slick shifting box and they quickly get
used to the pattern.  MGB V8-ers report rare use of 1st except for uphill
or quick starts or traffic creep, due to the torque of the engine.

Kurt Schley's "V8 Newsletter" contained a comprehensive article on the T-50
box a yr or two ago, and he sells the back issues.

Bob Wilson