Re: starter motor

To: "Simon Sparrow" <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>,
Subject: Re: starter motor
From: Peter Kent <pkent@skynet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 99 09:56:16 +1000
Simon Wrote:
The starter motor on my car has started to make some warning noises that
it
may be on the way out. The Engine in my car is a Leyland P76 V8. I seem to
recall that the Rover V8 starter motor can be adapted to the Leyland
block.
Does anyone know any more about this? I'm pretty sure that the two starter
motors are not the same, as I've been down this path before, but I have a
feeling that the Rover one will fit with the aid of a spacer ring or bush.

Reply:
One can use either the Rover starter motor/ flexplate or P76 starter
motor/ flexplate combination, but because the teeth are cut slightly
differently on the Rover and P76, using a mixed Rover/P76 combination
results in noisy engagement during starting.

To use the Rover starter motor/ flexplate two modifications are required.
Firstly, although the bolt holes of the Rover starter motor line up with
those of the P76 block, the Rover starter motor location ring is smaller
than the P76 starter motor aperture. This requires a metal spacing ring
to be fabricated (Rob Stewart Engineering, Melbourne, Australia, have
these in stock - can't remember how much but it was very reasonable).
This we adhered to the Rover starter motor with Loctite. Secondly, the
flexplate mounting bolt holes on the end of the  P76 crankshaft are on a
wider radius than on the Rover flexplate, requiring a conversion plate to
be fabricated. The Rover flexplate is flat with a spacer between it and
the end of the crankshaft, while the P76 flexplate is dished in the
centre and therefore doesn't require a spacer plate. Rob Stewart
Engineering have an adapter ring  (AU$150) which substitutes for the
Rover spacer plate. This adapter ring both acts as a torque convertor
spigot spacing ring and also marries the flexplate mounting holes between
the P76 crankshaft and Rover flexplate. It does this by attaching to the
P76 crankshaft with countersunk allen-headed high-tensile bolts and has a
second set of threaded holes to take the Rover flexplate mounting bolts.
It worked very well for our P76/Rover P5B conversion. The Rover flexplate
is also said to be stronger than the P76 flexplate.
To use the P76 starter motor/ flexplate only one modification needs to be
made. The Rover torque converter spigot is smaller than the centreing
ring on the rear of the P76 crankshaft. A spacing bush needs to be made
(7/8 inch long, 0.75 inch ID, 1.375 inch OD), and can be loosely friction
fitted. This is probaby what you have in place at the moment.

The simplest solution for you may be to have the P76 starter rebuilt.

Regards
Peter Kent