Re: Do we still need the ba-autox mailing list?

To: Viet-Tam Luu <viettamluu@gmail.com>
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 14:03:49 -0700
On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 01:40:28PM -0700, Viet-Tam Luu wrote:
> The ba-autox mailing list has served us well but I wonder if it's not
> time to think about simply supplanting it with the online forum
> format, for example baautox.com.

Funny that you should use the mailing list rather than the forum to
raise the issue!

> I won't go into the pros and cons of either format (though others are
> welcome to) but I think the online forum has many advantages over the
> mailing list, and few (if any) disadvantages.

The forum is not as effective for important announcements.  You have
to actively go to the forum and look for something, but on the mailing
list it comes straight to your mailbox.

People will use the mailing list for discussions as long as they
prefer to.  When people stop using the mailing list for discussions,
then it will be "time" and no special action will need to be taken.  I
disagree with any suggestion that we should take any action now to
force that to happen.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94