AAA & tow

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: AAA & tow
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:49:34 -0700
Stacey wrote:
    ... I thought it would be for free or maybe $100 but
    never dreamed $330.  Had we hauled it all the way home it would have cost
    $560!

    Apparently you can pay more for a premier membership that cost more yearly
but
    you get 100 free miles.  I did not qualify for it since I added my son
this
    year and had a tow once the year or so before which disqualifies you.

Yeah, been bitten by the same problem.  It's the usual thing, if you don't
need it you're eligible, but if they think you might actually USE it, then you
can't have it.  Quoting from their site:
 1. You must be a CSAA Member for one year or more.
2. You may only upgrade at the time of renewal.
3. No more than 4 Emergency Road Service calls for your household in the past
12 months.
4. No towing services used by your household in the past 12 months.

When I asked, they told me that not only could you not have a tow in the past
year, but because it only can be upgraded at your renewal anniversary, that it
was going to be like 22 months before I would be eligible.

I did have a long tow once, maybe five years ago?  but I am pretty sure that
it wasn't as much as $10/mile.  Would have been nearly have a grand at that
price, I would have remembered that I think.  Didn't matter, wasn't going to
leave it in Stockton and it was a bad day to try to find a rental place with a
truck AND a dolly plus a jack to get it onto the dolly, woulda cost more than
the tow.                        PaulT