Re: Chicago Boxes (was: Practice, Round #7, and Round #8)

To: Pat Kelly <lollipop487@comcast.net>, mwood24020@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Chicago Boxes (was: Practice, Round #7, and Round #8)
From: Charlie Davis <gt40d@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 21:17:42 -0700 (PDT)
--- Pat Kelly <lollipop487@comcast.net> wrote:
> I've been reading some of the posts and get sort of
> rattled by references to
> more 'technical' courses. Now that I'm driving one
> of the more lumbering
> cars at the event, i.e., not a lot of power, but
> still quite wide, I notice
> tightness with a little more dread than I did in the
> 7. :) BTW, I'm running
> on 400+ treadwear. They at least last longer than
> Hoosiers. :)

I don't think of my courses as terribly technical.  I
think of Ben's courses as being very technical.  OTOH,
there were some technical elements on Sunday.  It's
interesting that PAt has cars on opposite ends of the
spectrum.  The 7 would've been flat out through the
lane change and slalom, and the larger car on 400
treadwear tires having to pick its way through the
same sections much more carefully.

I try to make the lane changes and slaloms not quite
flat out for the best handling S, ST and SP cars, and
just have to ignore that some smaller P and M cars
(and CSP Miatae...) will be flat.  The other side is
to make sure it's not tedious for the big cars at the
same time.  And there are no formulae that I know of,
just taking a SWAG at it...  Some SWAGs are better
than others...

> On the question at hand, the back lane change
> section. I had to stabalize
> the car by tapping the brakes on entry to the first
> (right) change, than
> power, such as it is, on through the left lane
> change. The slalom before the
> U-turn I felt, though I didn't pace off the cones
> like i usually do, felt
> like the last cone was tighter than the 1st two.
> However, it was always a
> pleasant surprise that I made it through that and
> the U before heading back
> up. "Now, how did I do that?" I thought. :)
> I think I could have used more bravery after leaving
> the lane change
> section, but didn't have the guts to do it like i
> felt it should have been
> done. Perhaps I was worried about carrying too much
> speed into the 3-cone
> slalom in the back of my mind.
> Fun course, Charlie.

Thanks, Pat!