Re: RWD STS and STX cars

To: ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: RWD STS and STX cars
From: "Paul Soals \(#51 AS\)" <ibisbike@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:59:13 -0800 (PST)
I'm no longer an STS driver, but I'll play one over
the internet for a few minutes.

I can't think of any RWD cars that are considered near
the top of the list in STS since you can't get a real
LSD in any of them. That being said, locally a quick
driver can probably do well in a 240sx (though I've
never driven one so I can't say for sure), a 3 series
BMW (325/28/30) with a well sorted suspension still
peaks my interest, the Corolla GTS had an optional
clutch pack LSD which kicks it out of STS anyway.  The
biggest problem with a RWD car in STS is weight/tire
width in my mind.  Earlier RWD cars that might have
potential run into problems with the bolt on engine
mods, since most of them won't be CARB approved.

In STX the RWD car (and the one I have always lusted
after) is the E-30 M3.  But they are really pricey to
buy/maintain/upgrade.  The other 3 series Bimmers
again seem to be the car of choice with ability to add
a real LSD and wider tires.

The Corolla GTS suffers from not enough power when
faced with the WRX's and BMW's I think.  I haven't
heard of anyone running it succesfully in STX anyway.

Just about every other RWD chassis I can think of that
is eligable is a big ? mark.  There just haven't been
many people brave enough to invest the time and effort
to try an develop a car outside the WRX/BMW mold in
STX.

Sorry that probably doesn't really answer the question
very well.

Paul Soals

--- Charlie Davis <gt40d@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So, what RWD cars are competitive in STS and STX?
>
> 240SX?  Corolla GTS?  BMW 325is?
>
> Charlie

=====
2004 Honda S2000 #51 AS SFRSCCA

2000 Civic Si (stolen by some low life bastards)

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com