Re: GGF team-call for workers

To: Andy Fuchs <awf@kabira.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GGF team-call for workers
From: Jim Ochi <jim_ochi@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:04:58 -0700
At 10:08 AM 9/17/2003 -0700, Andy Fuchs wrote:
>Hi, I'm a new SCCA member. Although my car isn't as ready as I'd like, I
>would still like to come out for my first drive Sunday. Do I really just
>show up? I've seen Kate Hughes' "Novice Handbook" but I still think I must
>be missing something. Should I register for work?

Registration and worker sign-up is done on-site, unless you're volunteering
to be on the setup crew.  So, yeah, it's pretty much just showing up.  Be
sure to bring your SCCA membership card, driver's license, and the 25 buck
entry fee.  If you're under 18, you will also need to bring a parent or
legal guardian so that they can sign the appropriate waivers for you.

If you have a helmet (motorcycle or auto racing, with a Snell M90 or SA90
rating or newer, must have the Snell rating sticker on it), bring it
along.  Otherwise, there are a few loaner helmets, but they're usually in
pretty high demand, so there may not be one available when you need it.

Put a few extra pounds of air in your tires, so that they don't roll off
your rims.  Some paper, thick markers, and masking tape or maybe a bottle
of white shoe polish so you can number your car would be helpful.  Or, use
your computer to print out some numbers - make them at least 8" high in a
simple and legible font, then just tape them on your car with masking tape.

Oh, and remember to bring whatever you need to be outside for half a day
(or more!) - sunscreen, water, hat, jacket, food, etc.  Makes it much more
fun if you aren't starving, dehydrated, and sunburnt.

People are usually friendly and helpful - if you aren't sure what's going
on, just tell them you're a first-timer and ask.

>Also, I can't figure out what class my car should run in. I looked in the
>lists, but Peugeot 505 Turbo isn't there...

More details about your car would help - what size engine, horsepower,
front or rear wheel drive, etc.  Also, if you've made any sort of
modifications to it, give us the list.  With that info, I'm sure that
someone on the list can help classify your car...

Jim