Re: In today's mail

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: In today's mail
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:47:16 -0800
Rich, as well-intentioned as the suface-spin seems (after all, who
wants to argue against equal treatment for women?) the details do seem
to indicate that this is more motivated by the desire to capture media
attention and ratings than to actually create a serious race series
for women.  If the goal were the latter, why are they excluding anyone
with racing experience?  Why do they announce that they are filtering
for charisma and personality?  Did A.J. Foyt have a great personality?
The "formula" here really does seem to be a lot like the MTV "be a
racecar driver" tryouts: demonstrate a certain level of competence, and
then make a final decision based on an interview.  They want P.R., not
skills.  They said it in the press release.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94